Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Military Comm Center - All Military branches welcome > General Open Forums And More > Current News and Events

Old 10-12-2017, 12:48 PM

That is not a link to a study... It is a link to an article in the MIT Technology Review. Huge difference there. The article cites costs as the reason for a plant changing to natural gas instead of using lignite gasification. The Kemper plant was based on a faulty premise, which is why it had problems even before construction began. Basic economics and common sense both tell a person that adding additional steps prior to producing the product or service will increase costs. Thus, unless the method used is inexpensive it will not be economically viable.

The Petra Nova project seems more practical based on currently available technology. If I recall correctly, that plant does the carbon capture after burning the coal and is currently capturing 90+% of the carbon emissions. Additionally, the captured CO2 is stored and used to boost oil productivity. I do not recall the estimates for that aspect. Essentially, they are producing their product/service then compensating for the additional expense by using the carbon to help produce additional products.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:57 PM

Default Infancy

Nobody has put any real effort in developing this technology.

It is in it's infancy.

It is not a project that will be easily solved by a few billion dollars and a half hearted effort.

I am the first person that wishes we had abundant green energy, but we do not.

We will not be able to get rid of coal in my lifetime.

It is a moon shot. It needs extreme scientific breakthroughs similar to going to the moon.

With what we spent on nuclear power plants the amount of money put into research and development is minute.

If good presidents like Trump are elected, the government can push the development of scientific breakthroughs.

We need massive tax breaks for any company developing cleaner ways to burn coal.

We need a centralized authority to collect and disseminate the progress and breakthroughs.

If the EPA would grow some balls, they could solve our energy and environmental needs at the same time.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:00 PM

Default Perspective

Just a trivial note.

The recent wildfires in California have put more carbon and pollution in the atmosphere than all the cars in the state do in a year.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:14 PM

You know, I get really tickled with the latest examples of AGW. CO2 is produced from breathing and CO is produced from burning. Autos that burn fuel, grills, stoves, coal powered and natural gas powered plants, even a bon-fire produces CO, not CO2. Asking Google you get both, but for CO2 it has current dates as to what causes CO2. No mention of the fact that the mere act of breathing creates CO2. Now keep in mind, that is only from Google answers, not from links they list.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:17 PM

I also didn't notice a mention of the fact that plants need CO2 to survive and that they produce oxygen in the process. Keep in mind that this is Google's list of questions and answers.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Yep, plants need CO2 to produce oxygen, and we need oxygen to survive.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:37 PM

Default Volcanic end of life on Earth

The national news is reporting that there may be mega volcanoes brewing that could end all human life on earth.

The title was so outrageous, I did not even read the article.

Also, a large asteroid that could have caused mass casualties just sped by us in what is called very close proximinity.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:42 PM

Default Moon shot

How many years did it take of research and development to put a man on the moon?

How many rockets exploded before they worked?

If our government put real scientific effort into clean coal it would happen.

It is simply a decision to make.

Hillary and Barrack are against coal and even clean coal.

Trump is for it.

Our nation just needs to make a decision and make it happen.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Sure, but lets go all in on cold fusion while we're at it.

I am genuinely not sure what it is about coal that people have a hardon for. I get that back in the day, high school educated workers in WV could make yesteryears equivalent of six figure salaries or whatever. But I dunno wtf to tell you, coal is not coming back. It's not a political thing for me, it's just economics.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:45 AM

Truthfully, I am more for natural gas and nuclear power generation than coal. But there are still some coal fired plants out there along with smelters that use the stuff.