Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Military Comm Center - All Military branches welcome > Grunt Forums

Old 10-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Administrator

My Garand was made 12/53. It is so clean I wouldn't take less than 3K for it. I love this rifle....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gays-M1-Garand-Pic-1.jpg (97.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Garys-Garand.jpg (96.7 KB, 32 views)

Cpl Miller USMC 1964 - 1970
www.yellowfootprints.com
www.norcalpreppers.com
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

When I joined the Army in 1966 we were issued black leather boots that laced up and came up over the ankle.
The toe section was stitched off so the whole toe area could be and should be "spit-shine" polished.

Some guys discovered that once you spit shine the toe area you could cover it lightly with liquid Johnson's Floor Wax and it would keep the polished toe area always shining ... until you stubbed your toe and then the whole toe area would shatter and crack. DI's did NOT like that!
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

l would definitely love to have an M-14 like the one I first had in Basic before they stuck us with Mattie Mattels!

Late to the Fray, as usual, so most ground has been covered, I suppose. I loved shooting the 105MM gun on the M-60A1 Tank. If you bore-sighted all the sights correctly, you could literally put a 25 pound bullet through a steel pot at 3500 meters every shot, day or night, if you took your time and aimed carefully. But there's the rub - to shoot at night, you or somone else had to turn on a million candle-power searchlight in white or infra-red mode so as to aim, and of course, a well-equipped enemy can see that - so you might get shot at the same time. The innovation for smaller weapons that was really a Godsend was the Starlight Scope. It simply amplified ambiant light so you could see at night much like you can see at dawn or dusk. And if it is mounted on a rifle, .50 Cal, or 20MM cannon, you can reach out as much as 2500 meters and touch someone without him knowing where it is coming from, at least until the muzzle flash. Eventually, such technology and the FLIR technology that looked for heat signatures were adapted to Tanks, and now they would rather fight at night than during the day - because they can actually see targets much better out to 4000 meters without sun interferance!

The second innovation was a very simple but effective one. How many of you have filled sandbags and just hated the slow drudgery of it? Especially because of getting you fingers banged by the blades of shovels? When i was in the Air Force with a Ground TACS Radar Unit, we came up with a very simple solution that worked miracles. We took those three foot tall emergency cones, cut about 8 inches off the tip, then stick it in the bag or build it into a free standing table that the bag can be held under, then fill the cone with sand. Two or three shovel fulls and the bag is full. Takes about 30 seconds a bag. Tie it up and done! Slick as hell!

Last edited by GreyWolfGhost; Yesterday at 04:41 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM

That is pretty innovative.
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

Default Nice story GWG

My small team had to operate indepentantly and away from the core unit.

We took a regular metal folding chair and cut a nice size hole in the seat.

We would then dig a hole about a foot deep.

We put the chair in the hole and covered it with our ponchos.

We could then take a crap at high noon without being seen.

One day a full bird colonel drove up to one of my troops under the poncho.

He yelled, soldier, what are you doing under that poncho?

The troop looked out, seen the eagle on the Humber and yelled back: Taking a shit, sir!

The colonel yelled back, carry on, and drove off.

I laugh every time I remember this story.

And it is true.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

Old Today, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamVet67/68 View Post
When I joined the Army in 1966 we were issued black leather boots that laced up and came up over the ankle.
The toe section was stitched off so the whole toe area could be and should be "spit-shine" polished.

Some guys discovered that once you spit shine the toe area you could cover it lightly with liquid Johnson's Floor Wax and it would keep the polished toe area always shining ... until you stubbed your toe and then the whole toe area would shatter and crack. DI's did NOT like that!
I wasn't big on getting all that that shine on my boots, but I always wondered how they did it, you might have given me some info. I busted my ass polishing those damn boots though, for an inspection that never came, or just to wear to field!!?
Old Today, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb12919 View Post
I wasn't big on getting all that that shine on my boots, but I always wondered how they did it, you might have given me some info. I busted my ass polishing those damn boots though, for an inspection that never came, or just to wear to field!!?
We had inspection every day in Basic. At least once a week in AIT, and at least once a month in my regular unit.

I used high gloss shoe polish and always had a nice shine on my Jump boots.

When we actually went to the field, I never wore my Jump boots. I wore my issued boots or jungle boots in the summer.

I probably had five pairs of boots.
Old Today, 05:31 PM

When I was in Turkey, we wore desert camp and had the beige no polish boots.

That was a nice three month break from polishing.

I believe the troops nowadays wear no polish boots all the time.

We had our uniforms starched and pressed also.

I have seen troops in WalMart that look like the uniform just came out of the dryer.

Must be nice to not have to spend so much time working on your appearance.

Seems right. Training to kill the enemy does not require shiny boots or pressed fatigues.
Old Today, 05:33 PM

I love this forum, but the auto correct is killing me.

A military website that auto corrects the word CAMO into the word CAMP.

LOL.