Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Coast Guard > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 PM

Default CG and the Hurricane

CBS ran an outstanding report on the actions of the Coast Guard in Houston. I had seen earlier that my old unit was sending folks down to help. It all gave me that old feeling of wishing I could dial back the calendar and be a part of it.

I was not at all surprised, and in fact expected to see reports of selfless, devoted service in such circumstances. I know that there is a lot of extra effort being put in at units all across the country. Some people deployed to the storm region, and others are working extra to fill for those who are away.

You are standing tall Coast Guard, and I am very proud of you. Semper Paratus.

W. R. Wheeler, USCG (Ret.)
Old 08-31-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaman View Post
CBS ran an outstanding report on the actions of the Coast Guard in Houston. I had seen earlier that my old unit was sending folks down to help. It all gave me that old feeling of wishing I could dial back the calendar and be a part of it.
I know the feeling. Watching these rescues sure makes you proud of those men and women serving today.

Some of my friends with CBP and the Florida FWC have deployed there from South Florida. Those friends with FWC...we worked the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew in the Homestead, FL, mostly for looters as flooding wasn't so much of an issue.

I hope the hell that Irma, now a tropical storm in the Atlantic, doesn't get anywhere near the Gulf of Mexico and Texas.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:58 AM

I've seen some photos of the ATON crews turning and burning. I imagine they've got a lot of work to do as soon as possible so the ships can finally get back in to those areas.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:36 AM

I've been seeing so many photos of the damage in the FL Keys from Irma. It looks like Stations Islamorada and Marathon made out OK. I haven't seen much about Group (Sector?) Key West.

I've got a friend up here in NH who spends each winter on his 40' cabin boat docked at the NAS Boca Chica marina. I'm waiting to hear how his boat made out.

Good luck to the units in Puerto Rico and those in the nearby areas with Hurricane Maria.

Last edited by 23yrsUSCGUSCS; 09-19-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:03 PM

Those guys can't be getting any rest. Many of the same people have been working/responding in all the storms.