Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Military Comm Center - All Military branches welcome > Political Forum

Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

Our entire economic and political system is literally based on the idea harnessing the power of everyone pursuing their own personal best interests. Why are you surprised to watch it happen lol
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

When government power is used for redistribution, my own personal best interests keep ending up shortchanged for my efforts.
Too many pursue their own personal best interests by finding ways of removing mine for themselves.
All they have to do is vote for enough politicians to give it to them.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

What part of government spending do you have a problem with in general? Social security, medicare, medicaid, military, wall st bailouts ..?
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

For starters anything not explicitly covered by the plain text of the Constitution.

As I recall, the basics on that area are: compensation for members of the government (Congress, SCotUS, inferior courts, PotUS, VPotUS, postal workers and military personnel), providing for the common defense (military) and promoting the general welfare (not just the welfare of Wall Street).

Studies on the sexual habits of some critter on another continent do not meet those requirements. Paying some other entity to manage the currency of the nation does not meet those requirements either.

Whatever happened to the promotion of "useful arts"? A grant to a schmuck for a jar of piss with a picture or object in it is not a proper use of public funds as it is hardly one of the "useful arts".

What we need is a currency backed by specie that is tightly controlled by the government alone without any organization based on the likes of the "Federal Reserve". Then, we need a balanced budget amendment that provides an absolute bar on spending more than is received in taxes with a provision for bonds to be sold during times of war in cases where money must be borrowed. After that, all programs not covered by the plain text of the Constitution need to be either handed over to the states or dropped entirely. Lastly, I would like to see a Constitutional Amendment that would fix the salary paid to federal officials (Congress, Potus, VPotus, Supreme Court Justices and judges in inferior courts) to the mean income level. To make it more fair, senators, representatives and judges would receive compensation equal to the mean income of the area they represent or serve while the SCotUS, VPotUS and PotUS would receive compensation equal to the mean income of the entire nation. I suspect this arrangement would also weed out many of the "career politicians" as well as they would no longer view the offices as sufficiently profitable and thus we would likely gain government officials that actually want to work for America instead of for themselves and their party.
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

Hey I hate to break this to you but there's this thing called the taxing and spending clause. We don't need to put every little thing the government spends our money on in the actual constitution.
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

When those things are the domain of the states or the people then they are a misuse of revenues. It really is that simple. Remember this line: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."?

The federal government has no authorization to spend money on state projects, only the individual states have that authority. Similarly, the federal government has no authorization to be involved with marriage in any manner at all, that is solely the purview of the states.

But you favor intrusive and overly large government and refuse to simply read the plain text penned oh so long ago, just like every party hack with a D or R after their name.
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Lmao there has been debate over how broadly to interpret the Constitution from the instant it was written. All I hear when I run into people like you is WAHH WAHH WAHH and the stomping of feet like a child that the world isn't 100% what they want it to be and can't tolerate different legal perspectives.

Maybe there will be a nuclear holocaust and our government and way of life will be destroyed. Until then, there will not be any sort of 'strict constitutionalist libertarian utopia'. Sorry.

Last edited by Moose Limbs; Yesterday at 12:58 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

Nor do I expect there to be such a place. However, when one considers we have laws such as the Dictionary Act and the many centuries of jurisprudence that clearly state that in the absence of a special definition that the plain language definition of a word is what is intended in any act or law it makes it painfully obvious that those who seek to either expand or narrow the definitions of words in the Constitution and other laws are acting in a manner contrary to that described by law.

In other words, party hacks on both sides make it a point to ignore that which they find inconvenient for themselves or if they cannot ignore it to "redefine" it without any basis in law and in a manner contrary to common sense.

Or to put it simply, career politicians and activists of various stripes know they are acting contrary to the written letter of the law. Furthermore, those that support doing so instead of petitioning for amendments to the law (to include the Constitution) are un-American based on prima facie evidence and should be considered as such until proven otherwise, regardless of their chosen party identifier.
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

OK you've convinced me. Set it all on fire!
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

Hardly...though setting all the career politicians on fire might be a good idea.