Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Military Comm Center - All Military branches welcome > General Open Forums And More > Current News and Events

Old 10-13-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Limbs View Post
Unless I'm missing something here, carbon taxes or some sort of carbon trade program would benefit clean coal. It would incentivize clean coal plants and punish dirtier forms of energy. That'd be closer to a free market approach. The alternative is to offer subsidies or direct investment into CCS.
As long as the carbon taxes increased all fossil fuel costs not just coal.

Some liberals want to single out coal and tax it into submission.

Whatever economic force increases clean coal is fine by me.

Just do not kill coal in our country until we can kill it everywhere in the world.

Some studies suggest clean coal can have a better carbon footprint per dollar than producing wind turbines or solar panels.

Let the public know that!
Old 10-13-2017, 05:21 PM

One thing I've always found funny about certain forms of energy (like wind farms). People look to them and think, "good! we're finally generating clean energy!" But they ignore all the fossil fuels that went into the production of the thing. Mining the metal. Making the plastic. Transporting it over roads paved in asphalt made with fossil fuels. We're hopelessly addicted to the stuff.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:16 PM

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Limbs View Post
One thing I've always found funny about certain forms of energy (like wind farms). People look to them and think, "good! we're finally generating clean energy!" But they ignore all the fossil fuels that went into the production of the thing. Mining the metal. Making the plastic. Transporting it over roads paved in asphalt made with fossil fuels. We're hopelessly addicted to the stuff.
Exactly. The amount of fossil fuels used to create solar panels almost negates the useful life of the panel.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:23 PM

Default Alcohol made from corn

Back when fuel was $5 a gallon I had a similar discussion with a gentleman about making alcohol to use as fuel in our cars.

He felt it was a clean energy.

After I researched the actual carbon footprint of alchohol produced from corn, he realized it was just as bad for the environment as gasoline.