Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Military Comm Center - All Military branches welcome > General Open Forums And More > Gun Enthusiast

Old 12-20-2017, 06:53 AM

Ok, got a reply from the good folks over at Remington this morning.

According to them so long as I use only rifled slugs there is no danger to the user or the firearm if it is in sound condition. Though they do point out that they recommend using an Improved Cylinder choke for the best accuracy in their firearms.

They made no mention about any possible damage that might result from using slugs in a firearm that uses choke tubes, but I also did not ask them about that scenario as it is not relevant to my situation.

Looks like I can "get by" for now if I have to but a dedicated slug barrel will be added to my wishlist (besides, rifle type sights would be far more accurate than just the front bead). I think I will also look into a recoil pad, last time I shot any slugs was in an old Eastern Firearms single shot 20 gauge with no pad and it was brutal, I suspect the padless 1100 will not be much more gentle...
Old 12-20-2017, 09:36 PM

Glad to hear that Remington got back to you in such a timely manner.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Anyone get a new gun for Christmas?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:16 PM

Mm2 ss Lewis - Hello. Simple answer is to get a spare barrel from either Remington directly or visit the Cabella's or Bass Pro Shops or Midway websites for a Cylinder or Improved Cylinder spare barrel, or check for a gunsmith who can install the Rem chokes into your present barrel.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:42 AM

No adding chokes to the current barrel, it lacks the metal to support being bored and tapped. Another barrel is something on the list, but they have gone way up in price over what they used to be.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:36 AM
Administrator

After finishing my new long range AR15 late last year funds for an addition to the family of weapons will have to wait. ha

I am however looking to change the scope mount on my new rifle, for some reason the mounts I have on it now is not doing the trick. With the new California laws taking effect this July, I have to change the stocks on all my Ar's as well as changing the bullet button feature. I hate the new stocks offered for the AR but have no choice in the matter.

This is what my new AR15 looks like today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ar1.jpg (61.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0379.jpg (97.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ar-3.jpg (40.7 KB, 17 views)

Cpl Miller USMC 1964 - 1970
www.yellowfootprints.com
Old 03-10-2018, 05:15 PM

I'd be very careful about shooting solid slugs or some of these new titanium pellet rounds through a shotgun with a full choke. Full choke shotguns were developed back in the days of soft lead BBs and such, with the idea that they can be compressed together in a barrel inwhich the bore gets suddenly smaller the last few inches. Some of that stuff doesn't compress at all because it is as hard as steel. It is very likely you might split the barrel or worse. If you want to shoot conventional lead shot, that is what it is for. If you want to shoot slugs for deer or home defense, you would be better off getting straight bore slug barrel in both cases - to say your gun and you a possible bad day...!
Old 03-10-2018, 06:05 PM

Very true GWG. When I do use slugs, I use lead foster slugs. The folks at Remington tell it it is perfectly safe. As for shot, lead shot is getting harder to find, but I got a decent stash. A dedicated slug barrel is on my "buy" list however, as well as maybe a barrel with interchangeable chokes.