Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Coast Guard > Coast Guard Veteran Forum

Old 10-30-2016, 08:13 AM

Default Items from your days in the Coast Guard

Just curious what items you have from your time in that you keep for the memories.

A Chase coffee cup and my Bos'n pipe. (I was a striking BM though I went to school later.)

(Chase crew '83-'84)
Old 10-31-2016, 05:59 AM

I have patches from most of the units I was at (for some there were none" - a small bag of sand from Iwo Jima - coffee cups and plaques from several units and a lot of slides that I look at occasionally. I have a model of the Westwind being built, looking at photos I received from the builder for final approval, already have shelf spaced reserved for it.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:41 AM

For a long time I had a jelly jar filled with non descript generic black ball point pens that managed to be useful after you held the point over a flame to get the ink moving. They would all pop up straight in the jar if you called "attention"....
Old 02-27-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersMate View Post
For a long time I had a jelly jar filled with non descript generic black ball point pens that managed to be useful after you held the point over a flame to get the ink moving. They would all pop up straight in the jar if you called "attention"....
Those Gov't pens were the worst ever! The only good thing is that they were plentiful & cheap!
Old 02-27-2017, 05:07 PM

In 1981 the CGC Steadfast did a UNITAS with USN going down as far Rio De Janiro. There was a bottled soda type drink down there called guarano. I put down a few of those. It was pretty good. I still have an unopened bottle of it. I always had the idea I'd crack it open when I retired but I never did.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:21 AM

I got my flight jacket (now my kids wear it), pocket knife, some outdated-out of service chutes, some old survival gear "White Stag", lots of bags, harnesses and gear I made for climbing and maybe a few more items in the shed... I got some scars as well..
When it came to shops, the survival shop was the best!

Last edited by asm3driscoll; 02-28-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:00 PM

I have lots of uniform items that should have been discarded, and several coveralls. One set is white with Air Station Guam across the back, from 1970. I have an oily rock from the Exxon Valdez spill ('89, and we weren't supposed to do that). I have it in a plastic baseball holder. I opened it a couple of years ago, and the pungent smell of crude oil is still there.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM

I still have my Bosun's call & custom lanyard that I made. Have my liberty cuffs, neckerchief with the roll of nickles in it, marlin spike and knife with leather belt case, blue jacket manual and rating coarse books for advancement. Lets not forget those surveyed items that didn't quite make it to the dump!!!
As mentioned by MM I'm sure I have quite a few items in my shop and elsewhere that would come to attention if ordered!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:53 PM

Hey John, good the see one of the "old hands" still vertical. I got a feeling that as more of the semi geezers migrate over here this will become a "Coastie" hang out.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersMate View Post
Hey John, good the see one of the "old hands" still vertical. I got a feeling that as more of the semi geezers migrate over here this will become a "Coastie" hang out.
I do try to remain upright!

Thanks MM, glad to see you here. Maybe Wray and Bill Wells will too...............(let's get the party started!)