Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Military Comm Center - All Military branches welcome > Site Updates and Comments

Old 11-29-2016, 07:57 PM

Default "Howdy!" from GwG

Never did really check in with the CQ when I first climbed aboard, so I guess I should, to avoid some of the potential confussion:

I enlisted RA Army Feb of 1970 as a Tanker but got shanghaied as Armor Recon by a recruiter who changed 11Echo to 11Delta after I signed the paper - Grrrrr! So I trained as Armor Recon at Knox, went through the Armor School and was a Sgt after a year - lined up for Drill Sgt School but leveed for Vietnam and shipped to Ft Louis. There, Nixon diverted 100 of us to Germany to start toning down the War, so I spent 2 years there as Armor Recon and finally got on an M-60A1 Dozer Tank - Three Bongos. Decided not to re-up, so I went back to the States and became a welder for about a year. Then I decided to go back to college on the GI Bill. During that three years, I joined the Combat Engineer Army Guard Unit in town and blew a lot of stuff up with TNT, C-4, and Ammonium Nitrate. By the time I gave that up, I was a Staff Sgt. For 7 years, I taught High School and Coached a bunch of Sports. Then I let a brother-in-law Colonel talk me into joining the Air National Guard and taking a Commission as an Air Weapons Controller (Tactical Radar guy on Scope who directs fighters into intercepts and air refuelings - like "Top Gun" Stuff). I spent 16 years doing that, along with teaching and coaching, and finally retired as an old and grey Captain in 2000. So I've seen a lot and done a lot from all different directions. Loved being in the Military and being around big equipment, and firing weapons of any kind. Shot Expert with the M-16 twenty-two years straight. I enjoyed most of all being a Gunner on an M-60A1 Tank. With that 105MM gun, I could shoot the hat off your head at 3000 meters! The Haunted Tank was my favorite comic book as a kid, and it was haunted by the "Grey Ghost" of Gen Jeb Stuart. When I joined MilitaryCom, someone already had that Avatar, so since I was kindofa lone wolf - GreyWolfGhost . . . so it goes-ahey

Last edited by GreyWolfGhost; 11-29-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Thank you for your service sir....

Cpl Miller USMC 1964 - 1970
www.yellowfootprints.com
Old 11-30-2016, 02:16 PM

Spent my time at Ft. Knox at the Disney Barracks . Used to claim the rusty bolt as our Marine tanker hang out. Bunch of Army tankers tried to evict us but that idea didn't work. We told them they could come back if they behaved themselves. That was in 75.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:16 PM

Went back in 77 for NCO school.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:14 PM

Back in 1997 I stopped to visit the Museum at FT Knox once during a trip back to KC from Cincinnati with my dad. One of the displays was a WWII jeep, The Serial Number on the hood was only a few digits different from the number on the jeep my dad had driven and the unit markings were for "B" Troop of the 15th Cav. where as my dad was in "A" Troop.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:21 PM

Old 12-01-2016, 07:50 AM

Basic was in the old WWII Barracks, which are now all gone. Did Leadership Preparation Course in a grey metal, cinderblock and concrete Barrack close to the old HQ Building of the Armor School where a Sherman Tank sat out front, then did AIT in the Disney Barracks - they were brand new at the time. Attended the Armor School for 12 Weeks after that. During that time, we lived in the big red three Story Buildings of ancient construction that sit next to the big grassy Parade Field in the center of Post. There was an NCO Club in the basement we could occasionally frequent, because we were all Corporals. One of the interesting things about those buildings is that up in the Attics, they have pistol ranges and workout areas! We never got to use them except for occasional PT when the weather was really bad. They were very interesting facilities. Most of the people who graduated from AIT and the Armor School went straight to 'Nam - -
Old 12-02-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Miller View Post
Thank you for your service sir....
-
+1

GWG looks like a good man to me even if he was a tanker.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:50 PM

Howdy GWG.

Stranger in a Strange Land.
Semper Fi.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorbob View Post
Howdy GWG.

YO!!