Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Military Comm Center - All Military branches welcome > Grunt Forums

Old 04-29-2017, 01:54 PM

Default Your Worst Day Of Basic Training/Boot Camp?

It has been a long time since . . .
But, "how" would you answer the question:
"What was the worst day of your basic training / boot camp?" . . . O.K. ... one day that was "worst" from ALL the other days
Old 04-29-2017, 03:10 PM

The day our DI's picked us up was not fun.

We had been in a holding pattern so to speak, in (I think it was called) receiving barracks for about a week. Finally our DI's picked us up and there I was at 5'10" 126 lbs trying to carry my sea bag that weighed as much as I did. It seemed like they had us haul our gear from one end of MCRD to the other. Getting turned over to those DI's in 1976 was a wake up call for me.

Not much fun for this 17 year old kid on that day.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:06 PM

Admittedly, I was a Navy guy...but I will go with the day I was running my final PT test and wrenched my knee. I did NOT like spending an extra 3 months at RTC Great Mistakes...half of it on crutches...
Old 04-29-2017, 05:08 PM

Never really had a bad day in Boot but I guess the day I smoked pot as platoon runner with another recruit was my slipping back into life before Corps, but I made it through that day and really wanted to be the best Marine I could be.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Administrator

My platoon (267, 1964) company area was right on the side of the sand pits at San Diego.

Just happens we failed our first rifle inspection, as was planned I'm sure. SDI marches us out onto the sand pit and we are directed to knell in four rows.

SDI gets up on his podium and proceeds to explain to us our usefulness to HIS Corps. The next fews words talked about covering our weapon's in the sand, AND having two hours for RE-inspection......So what do you think old DUMN ASS me does...says WHAT????? I went speechless as the DI's next move even surprised me.
Fucker came down off his perch like a flash and KICKED me so hard in the chest I flipped over backwards. As fast as I could I jumped back to my knees at attention. I'm telling you the movie Full Metal Jacket had nothing on my fun in the sun..ha

Cpl Miller USMC 1964 - 1970
www.yellowfootprints.com
Old 04-30-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Miller View Post
I'm telling you the movie Full Metal Jacket had nothing on my fun in the sun..ha
-
Now that's a wake up call.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 AM

Having a reaction to ALL the immunization shots...I caught pneumonia and was hospitalized for three weeks...
Resulting in my being recycled to a new training company.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:28 AM

Being ASMO'd in basic is certainly very high up on the list of "worst thing that can happen in basic"...
Old 04-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamVet67/68 View Post
It has been a long time since . . .
But, "how" would you answer the question:
"What was the worst day of your basic training / boot camp?" . . . O.K. ... one day that was "worst" from ALL the other days
-
Are we going to see your answer to the question?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:37 AM

I have a few days that stand out in my mind that make "basic training" a bad memory for me. All the other days are just a blur ... so, there are no "good days" in my memory.

I joined the US Army (for 4 years) in September of 1965 with a deferred entry until Jan 2, 1966. I tell people I was a "draft dodger" ... I joined up to avoid the draft

I was NOT ready for what I was about to get myself into. I shipped out from Michigan to Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri, located in the Missouri Ozarks where I had never been before, for basic training. They nick named Ft. Leonard Wood "Little Korea" because the terrain there is a lot like "somewhere in Korea" and it gets VERY cold there in the winter.

One day in mid January we went on a march through the snow. We were not really going anywhere other than to the chow tent and back again. I really do not remember how many miles.

We were in route step marching four abreast. I was somewhere in the middle of the pack and for some reason I just felt like I wasn't able to keep up ... yet I didn't want to get left behind ... so I stepped out of ranks and started to march in the deeper snow along side the group. Funny thing is, I was keeping up with the group in the deeper snow. A Lieutenant came along and got in front of me and began walking backwards facing me and yelling at me to get back in line.

Needless to say he didn't waste any words informing me how stupid I was (and how stupid my mother and whole family must be to raise a stupid like me, etc.).

I keep yelling back I can't keep up when he finely got through to me that marching in the deep snow was stupid when marching inside the pack, where the snow was already packed down by the others ahead of me, would make more sense (duah).

We worked up a good sweat that morning marching in the snow to the chow tent. When we got to the chow tent chow wasn't ready, so we were ordered to just stand around outside the tent, in a show storm, and wait. THAT's when I got really cold.

I ended up O.K. marching back, but I ended up with double pneumonia and spent a week (or more) in the base hospital. They kept telling me I would end up having to take basic training all over again due to the time I lost being in the hospital. THAT really scared me !!!

Fortunately I didn't end up having to take basic over ... but "why" is another story I'll tell later.