Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Military Comm Center - All Military branches welcome > General Open Forums And More

Old 09-23-2017, 08:03 AM

Default NOTICE: My Site is showing a warning

Just a cautionary notice.

This morning it was reported that my site (ipscone.com) is displaying a "deceptive site" warning.

I did some checking and it seems it's only happening with those using FireFox. Others seem to work. I haven't checked Google Chrome, so don't know if that also shows it.

As far as I can tell there are no hacks. I have asked my web host company to do a scan of my site to see if they can detect something.

Just wanted to let everyone know, what's going on.

Also, I have done some research and this does happen a lot to sites being falsely targeted as "deceptive". My cynical mind thinks Google has something to do with this.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:13 AM

I just ran Google Safe Sites and it does show an issue. I'm investigating but I still don't think there is anything wrong. But Google does.

Looks like I have an interesting mystery to solve this weekend

I'll keep you updated, for those who care. Might want to avoid it for the time being.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Thought I found the issue but it was not.

I thought the problem is that the login to forums looks like data is being collected by someone illegally. It's the same login as all forums use and I haven't had this problem before.

But I have other sites that have the same login software and they don't generate the warning.

Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by ipscone; 09-23-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Mike, I use Firefox because Explorer is so messed up. I have not received any errors on my end....Correction, I am receiving the error when I try to access your site....

Cpl Miller USMC 1964 - 1970
www.yellowfootprints.com
www.norcalpreppers.com
Old 09-23-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Miller View Post
Mike, I use Firefox because Explorer is so messed up. I have not received any errors on my end....Correction, I am receiving the error when I try to access your site....
Seems only FireFox has the problem. Odd thing is, it doesn't happen with msdsite.com which uses the same forum software.

I also thought it might be because I'm not using signed certs but my other sites don't and they don't have the problem. And your site uses the same forum software without issue. Maybe I have something posted on a forum that causes the issue.

When I check Google safe browsing it just says ipscone.com/forums/ has the problem.

I'll find the problem. Maybe I'll turn off each forum one at a time and see if I can isolate to something that way.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:51 AM

There must be someone flagging websites . I am an administrator on a M14 discussion forum and it too has been flagged. I am using Chrome.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th View Post
There must be someone flagging websites . I am an administrator on a M14 discussion forum and it too has been flagged. I am using Chrome.
I think the problem is with Google. THEY are flagging sites. Some, not all. They seems to not like logins to forums, unless they are HTTPS vs HTTP.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my site. It's Google.

I posted the question to Google WebMaster forums and got this reply.

Quote:
Check in your Search Console account under Security Issues and in SOME cases Google has been providing information (URLs) that they do not like. Google has been flagging SOME, not all sites that collect passwords over HTTP, from there it gets a little murky, I have seen some sites submit a security review request and get cleared without transitioning to HTTPS, while other sites have tried submitting review requests 2-3 times and do not get cleared until they transition to HTTPS. I believe at this point about your only option id to go ahead and transition to HTTPS.

Google is pushing HTTPS hard and I believe issues with Google and HTTP sites are only going to get worse.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:22 PM

Very strange infection. It appears I might have something on my site. Still trying to find out the source. But you don't have any problem by going to my site. It manifests itself in a very strange way.

The way the redirection works is

* You have to use Google to search a term
* Google must find it on my site and provide a link
* You click the Google link, and are redirected to that site, rather than my site.

So the crumbs are on my site, but you only get redirected by Googling something that points to my site.

Very odd. I'm on the track to find the malicious code but it's very tedious.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:08 PM

I use Google Chrome and I have not had a problem or any notice.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:51 PM

I use Edge and no problem or notice.