Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Military Comm Center - All Military branches welcome > General Open Forums And More

Old 08-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Default I don't think I'm ever going to retire

Just accepted a position at my 7th full-time job, not counting the Corps. 7 might sound like a lot of jobs but that's in a span of over 40 years. I know, some people stay at same job for over 40 years. But, I changed jobs 4 times, in my first 4 years.

Left contract work and back to full-time aerospace work. Oh well, someday I'll retire for good.

The interesting part is I had 2 job offers within 3 hours of each other. Nice to see the economy picking up. (<-- Had to say something political)
Old 08-30-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipscone View Post
Just accepted a position at my 7th full-time job, not counting the Corps. 7 might sound like a lot of jobs but that's in a span of over 40 years. I know, some people stay at same job for over 40 years. But, I changed jobs 4 times, in my first 4 years.

Left contract work and back to full-time aerospace work. Oh well, someday I'll retire for good.

The interesting part is I had 2 job offers within 3 hours of each other. Nice to see the economy picking up. (<-- Had to say something political)
Yes Mike I have been on the same job for a long time, coming up on 36 years.

I have an air force vet coworker that I have worked with over 20 so far.
He is 79 now and will be 80 in a few months. Recently I asked him how long he would like to work and he said until y'all run me off.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:32 PM

If you enjoy what you are doing, are healthy, and get enough time off to do the vacation things you want, I would tell you to avoid retirement as long as you are mobile and happy.

Why? Well, for one thing, when you retire, some of your sense of identity begins to fade, and unless you have some great hobbies, your sense of things to do begins to vanish.

You also lose your peer group that you are used to associating with all the time. You more and more find yourself on the outside looking in. Unless you have a bunch of friends not associated with work, or they retire at about the same time and stay in the say area, you may suddenly find yourself quite isolated.

If you have the capacity to stay part time, or pick up a part time job as kind of a hobby to stay busy and develop more friends and connections, that would be a wise move...

I only say all this because I had to retire because of a sudden health down turn - here today, gone tomorrow. The people I had enjoyed being around for 30 years and the places that had become more home to me than home were suddenly somebody else's. When I gave up my room keys, it was almost like having my hand cut off at the wrist. I went back occasionally to visit with friends, but within a few years because of other retirements and turn-overs, I was a stranger in a strange place. Unfortunately, because of my heart problems, we could only travel regionally, so it was not long before we'd worn out about 6 states for points of interest. Now, it just seems about all I do is travel here and there to attend funerals - - and that's about the only time I see old friends . . .

If I could just go back and work part time - to have that reason to get up in the morning and go accomplish something that had a purpose, I'd sure do it - -

Anyway, that's my two bits worth . . . keep active and keep doing something with a good peer group as long as you can - -
Old 08-31-2018, 08:59 PM

When I retired at 59yrs, 6months and 12 days at my post military job(ie a civilian company), The company had a very generous retirement package, Profit Sharing, ESOP, 401k. As they sold off the Employee Stock Ownership Plan's stock they reinvested the cash in the profit sharing buckets. After blowing through my Vacation pay(60 days times $420/day approximate) my wife told me I had to get out of the House at least ONE DAY a WEEK. SO, I went to the local hospital where I participated in a Diabetes Support group and signed up as a volunteer for the Diabetes Educators' office and took up driving a stretched Golf Cart as a passenger shuttle in the parking lot on Friday afternoons(noon to about 1630). When I had to stop earlier this year due to my broken back I was doing 3 mornings a week for 4 different sections. The month before I retired back in 06, one of the other employees at my civilian job had got me to signup as a NON-singing extra for the local OPERA company. There were 4 Opera performed each year and it would take 4 to 5 weeks of rehearsal and then 5 performances, since then they cut to 4 performances due to budget constraints.
It keeps me out trouble and boredom and the wife stays happy.

Last edited by devildog64012; 09-02-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:13 AM

GWG and devildog, I am pretty sure you two have a few years on me. Thanks for the words of wisdom here, it will help those like me navigate life's path after my civilian job is complete.

Volunteering mentioned-I never had to spend the night in MD Anderson Hosp when I went though cancer treatment. That said some of the chemo infusions and other things I received required me to be in a hosp bed for a few hours and I spent significant time there going to appointments etcetera. Saw a lot of wonderful volunteers coming through the hosp back then bringing comfort and lots of encouragement. Many of them were cancer survivors that were treated there in the past.

I recall once feeling pretty low there while in a tough part of the treatment. A lady volunteer came into the area where many of us were waiting on our CT scans. She worked her way over to me and quickly encouraged me and picked me up. I told her my story and she told me hers. My wife was not there so I told the lady the truth, that she was the best looking woman I had ever seen at the hospital. The beautiful and very nice lady laughed and received the complement happily.

Not sure if I could handle going there every day as a volunteer. All the little kids I saw there and the very tough things that some of them go through could rip your heart out.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hill0341 View Post
GWG and devildog, I am pretty sure you two have a few years on me. Thanks for the words of wisdom here, it will help those like me navigate life's path after my civilian job is complete.

Volunteering mentioned-I never had to spend the night in MD Anderson Hosp when I went though cancer treatment. That said some of the chemo infusions and other things I received required me to be in a hosp bed for a few hours and I spent significant time there going to appointments etcetera. Saw a lot of wonderful volunteers coming through the hosp back then bringing comfort and lots of encouragement. Many of them were cancer survivors that were treated there in the past.

I recall once feeling pretty low there while in a tough part of the treatment. A lady volunteer came into the area where many of us were waiting on our CT scans. She worked her way over to me and quickly encouraged me and picked me up. I told her my story and she told me hers. My wife was not there so I told the lady the truth, that she was the best looking woman I had ever seen at the hospital. The beautiful and very nice lady laughed and received the complement happily.

Not sure if I could handle going there every day as a volunteer. All the little kids I saw there and the very tough things that some of them go through could rip your heart out.
DD probably the right thing with volunteering. My problem was that by the time I had put in 22 years Military and 30 years Teaching/Coaching, I was sick of people - I thought. So I wanted to just go into seclusion, be a recluse, and be left alone. I was still fairly young (retired militarily at 50, civilian 57), so I wanted to just Wander the Wilderness and let the rest of the world worry about itself - I'd done enough worrying. But it did not take long for me to realize I was on the outside looking in with no one to converse with. I really missed those lunchhour rap sessions at Guard and at the School with like-minded people. One of the people i missed the most was a fellow teacher who had been a power plant maintenance Squid on a Nuclear Submarine. We used to have such great conversations about all things, but especially military. But he had since retired too - so couldn't even go to the school at noon just to say "hi". After all the heart troubles, retirement became a kind of solitary confinement I had never anticipated at all. Going deaf has just compounded it. Definitely protect your ears. If you can't converse with people, you just as well be alone on Mars - -

Old 09-01-2018, 09:13 PM

Lightbulb More about volunteering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hill0341 View Post

That is the nice thing about being a volunteer, you pick the hours and days you want to work. I have worked with some volunteers who only came in to work if called and they had the free time for the work the phone call was about.
You don't have to work at a hospital, Harvesters is always looking for volunteer help, Meals on Wheels could be another source, the local VA hospital or an outpatient clinic if your close to one.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:07 AM

My problem is that I'm not a "People Person" as you might be able to tell with some of my posts here. I'm too antagonistic and critical. That's probably why I developed heart trouble. 30 years of not beating or strangling to death a single High School student after 6 years of being a Recon Tanker Sergeant in the Army puts a helluva strain on the system! Probably my best choice would have been security work at a Bank or some other place, but again the heart troubles did away with those options -
Old 09-02-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
My problem is that I'm not a "People Person" as you might be able to tell with some of my posts here. I'm too antagonistic and critical
No shit you cranky old bastage! J/K
Old 09-02-2018, 08:12 AM

I think I may be working until I die. Between bills and basically spend my life doing this airport management, I really don't have nothing else to do. Maybe I can meet Ms. Right and find other things to do. Not much of a choice in women around here...