Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Military Comm Center - All Military branches welcome > General Open Forums And More > Scuttlebutt

Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 AM

I hope they got the boat underway towards land immediately an let the scuppers do their thing.
We talk about potential mishaps an responsive action to take in all the down time on the water. A lot of people carry their survival an rescue gear near the chain locker an would have little chance of getting to it in a dire situation. Few people outside of the military have practiced putting survival suits on in the water. We steamed out in the dark yesterday morning in 3 to 5 footers. Lots of things could have gone wrong but they didn’t.
It’s blowing today an I have friends commercial fishing,

Last edited by asm3driscoll; 09-18-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:35 PM

Just was wondering if Kegler made it through the storm? I know he did but would like to her from him...
Old 09-18-2018, 04:37 PM

Survived the hurricane. No damage to the house, but a lot of clean up. Several homes in my neighborhood had trees toppled on them, shingles and siding missing, fences blown down, etc.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:38 PM

Good to hear you are doing well, Keg.
The best hurricane parties are usually after.
Hopefully there are enough parties of people assisting those in need.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3driscoll View Post
I hope they got the boat underway towards land immediately an let the scuppers do their thing.
We talk about potential mishaps an responsive action to take in all the down time on the water. A lot of people carry their survival an rescue gear near the chain locker an would have little chance of getting to it in a dire situation. Few people outside of the military have practiced putting survival suits on in the water. We steamed out in the dark yesterday morning in 3 to 5 footers. Lots of things could have gone wrong but they didn’t.
It’s blowing today an I have friends commercial fishing,
It was many years ago so what happened back then is kind of foggy to me. I just remember me and my buddies hiring those guys and the boat.

They were the B team in my eyes and they were shitting their pants when we yelled something at them like "this f-ing boat is sinking"!

It was warm and we had life jackets, what little consolation that was. Thankfully, before long they had the water level going down in the cabin area below. Not quite sure how those hacks hooked a non fishing f-er like me up with the nice sailfish. I guess a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

Last edited by Mike Hill0341; 09-18-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:01 PM

Sometimes I’m on the A team , other times im on the B , C and D team. The chances of catching a tuna are one out of seven trips. Lately we have been getting one about every four trips. It can be extremely frustrating when people are going tight on fish all around you and you can’t hook up. I’m blessed to have friends that take me out for gratis!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3driscoll View Post
Sometimes I’m on the A team , other times im on the B , C and D team. The chances of catching a tuna are one out of seven trips. Lately we have been getting one about every four trips. It can be extremely frustrating when people are going tight on fish all around you and you can’t hook up. I’m blessed to have friends that take me out for gratis!
I'll bet you are a good deckhand too and they want you along for the help you can offer them.

I am helpful if they want something heavy to be lifted or other grunt work but I will need my glasses to tie some hooks to line or leaders.
---
I forgot to say, went Tuna fishing ( I think it was yellowfin) in Cabo San Lucas once long ago. It was rough as hell and some guys were hungover and blowing chum. We trolled with several lines out. We got into them several times and caught a slew of them although I'll bet none were over 40 lbs each. Nothing like the giant tuna you guys are going after. Took them back to the Marina to a little restaurant and they prepared them for us several different ways. Good times!

Last edited by Mike Hill0341; 09-19-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:08 AM

Played nine holes an now going to cut lawn.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Awful smokey again in the Valley. May go crawl a Mall just keep from sitting all day -
Old 09-21-2018, 08:57 PM

Drove to the southern end of the Valley to see what the fire has down. Calm winds today, so it hasn't threatened. Pretty much move east into wilderness areas -