Military Comm Center  

Go Back   Military Comm Center > Military Comm Center - All Military branches welcome > Grunt Forums

Old 11-21-2017, 07:46 PM

Boot Camp and AIT were definitely a memorable experience. Marching up and down the rolling wet clay roads of Fort Leonard Wood. I really enjoyed learning how to blow things up. Started with Claymores, then simple C4, TNT, Det cord, and my favorite was the 40 pound N2H4O3 Ammonium Nitrate Cratering charge.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:47 PM

I was at Fort Leonard Wood - Jan -Feb, 1967 and we NEVER got to play with any of THAT stuff.

I spent a week in the local base hospital with double pneumonia ... but I still graduated from basic
Old 11-22-2017, 03:21 PM

When we got to AIT at fort Rucker Alabama there were drill sergeants there too. I was worried until my Drill Sergeant said my PT scores from Basic were her highest in my class and she was making me a squad leader. She said she did not want me doing all the work myself, but make sure my squad did it all.

I still chose to be the bathroom cleaner in my six man room. Everyday after breakfast I would scrub and shine the entire Bathroom including the floor.

My room never had one gig the entire three months I was there. I had weekend priviledges my entire time in AIT. What a blast! I was shagging a hot little PFC every weekend.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb12919 View Post
I was so athletic when I went to boot camp, it was fun most of the time, I smirked my way through. I stay in shape as much as I can now, got a pull up bar from the side of road, gave the guy $20 for it, delivered. It also has a dip bar that is good for deltoids and triceps, a bit straining but I do it, with a couple pairs of dumbbells also on side of road free, someone dumped them out I came along picked them up! I could probably do bootcamp now at my advanced age!
Sounds great! A lot of guys in Basic were in good shape because of High School Sports, etc.; so it was really good to be among them. Like being back of the football team - running, crawling, doing the overhead bars etc. None of it was very tough really - except the 1 1/2 mile run for time. I've got short stocky legs and a bad knee from a pole-vaulting injury (we had sawdust pits at my school until my senior year, so you had to land on your feet. I cranked a knee in a poor landing. I also had a bad shoulder from football which hurt like hell doing pullups and overhead ladders, but I was in the Army to stay, not to whine!). Anyway, I could jog all day - but I got no foot speed! Besides, we did everything in fatigues and combat boots. My leather personnel carriers always gave me blisters...!

I did feel sorry for the big guys over 180 pounds. Everything was tough for them no matter how strong they were. There is a kind of critical mass that comes with approaching or being over 200 pounds. Distance running, overhead bars, pullups, and pushups get tougher and tougher for big guys, even if they are built like Hercules. But the DIs obviously realized that Vietnam would not care about a few pullups, so they looked the other way on some of those meaningless requirements if Joe was really beating his lungs out!

Speaking of Vietnam, this is where one of my "Worst Days" in Basic comes in, though it took some time for me to realize it: Once they let me shoot left-handed, I proved to them I was a blistering shot with anything they handed me. "I never miss!" was a family creed I did everything I could to live up to. Well, the rumor went around that a lot of the Draftees were going to Bolo on Rifle Qualification, because it was also the rumor that Bolos would not be assigned Infantry and Ft Polk, which meant a Beeline to Vietnam. I didn't care much about it because I had enlisted, and Vietnam came with the territory - -

When it came time to qualify, and we got to the Range, the Drill SSG pulled me behind a building and handed me 8-10 fully loaded magazines and told me to fill my pants and field jacket pockets with them. As I did so, he said, "Platoon Guide, everybody qualifies!" Then he handed me a bunch more to put into my shirt. I looked at him in a puzzled fashion, and he stared me right in the eyes and again said, "EVERYBODY QUALIFIES!" That's when it sunk in what he wanted me to do...

When my Platoon went to the Line, The DI directed me to the center position. Long story short, when targets popped up, I shot mine, then everything standing on the range. Everybody Qualified - lots of them - Expert! I thought it was kinda funny at the time. But later on when almost everyone got orders for Infantry at Polk, there wasn't much to laugh at. I only know of the outcome of two beyond that day. One made it clear through Nam pretty much unscathed, achieved the rank of Sgt and now writes books about his experiences. The other got his legs blown off when he jumped out of a Huey onto a mine.

Yeh, that may be my worst day in Basic - because it's gnawed at me ever since - -

Last edited by GreyWolfGhost; 11-22-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:58 PM

Funny...We did way more PT in AIT, than in Basic Training.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:56 PM

I did a lot more PT after boot camp until I achieved perfect PFT scores. I was especially obsessed with running ...
Old 11-24-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfGhost View Post

When my Platoon went to the Line, The DI directed me to the center position. Long story short, when targets popped up, I shot mine, then everything standing on the range. Everybody Qualified - lots of them - Expert! I thought it was kinda funny at the time. But later on when almost everyone got orders for Infantry at Polk, there wasn't much to laugh at. I only know of the outcome of two beyond that day. One made it clear through Nam pretty much unscathed, achieved the rank of Sgt and now writes books about his experiences. The other got his legs blown off when he jumped out of a Huey onto a mine.

Yeh, that may be my worst day in Basic - because it's gnawed at me ever since - -

I can identify with that Grey as after I shot qual I had shot scores good for sharpshooter I had to go to targets to mark for the next wave of Marines. Well I can remember pulling the target down and there was no holes on it but the boss of the range said there was! And the Marine was given "Expert" I told this story before either here on this site or the old military. Com but you are the first telling a story similar, I mean these were "Marines" doing this??!! Is all I could think of!!
Old 11-25-2017, 06:27 PM

I remember being at the end of the fourth squad during a duck soup lunch ... Needless to say, I didn't even get started with my lunch ....
Old 11-29-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th View Post
Boot Camp and AIT were definitely a memorable experience. Marching up and down the rolling wet clay roads of Fort Leonard Wood. I really enjoyed learning how to blow things up. Started with Claymores, then simple C4, TNT, Det cord, and my favorite was the 40 pound N2H4O3 Ammonium Nitrate Cratering charge.
When we went to jungle warfare training at fort Sherman in Panama I got introduced to the effects of an exploding claymore, or what I believe was one. We were marching on a road in jungle when we were told an ambush was coming from our starboard side so we all took positions on the opposite side where we needed to climb a small banking of 3-4 feet. After a few moments I can remember having our flash suppressors on our M-16s pointing across the road as we were told the enemy was there. When all of a sudden a tremendous explosion went off at the bottom of the banking that we had climbed, kinda took me by surprise, because of course it was set up that way, very loud and dirt flying all over, we were supposed to fire across to ppl shaped targets that popped up. When my hearing returned enough I heard a Marine of the darker persuasion making noise next to me so I looked over. Now everyone knew how to clear a jamb in the M-16 but after the explosion the poor fella couldn't control himself enough to gather his senses so I reached over and cleared it for him with one hand and he was happy, it had become so real with that explosion, lol.

Last edited by bobb12919; 11-29-2017 at 04:07 PM.